From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reorganization of /var/lib gentoo-related files
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:28:44
1 On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:21:45 +0100
2 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@××××××.fm> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday 31 of December 2008 16:57:12 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Gentoo does not comply with the FHS. It was established a long time
5 > > ago that FHS is considered silly and any compliance is merely
6 > > because the FHS people somehow managed to avoid screwing that
7 > > particular area up.
8 >
9 > Well, we're not here to deliberate about people's taste in FHS
10 > silliness manner. FHS, being standard de-facto, following the
11 > definition of the word "standard" as something accepted by majority
12 > and thus promised to be respected. Not justified standard violations
13 > or justified by "I don't like it" or "It's silly" should be repressed
14 > and some good standards should be explicitly forced in my opinion.
15 > Otherwise, inconsistency will create the feel of mess. I believe we
16 > can agree on this.
17
18 You could use the same argument to say "Gentoo must switch to RPM
19 because LSB says so".
22 Ciaran McCreesh