From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patch filename conventions (WAS: Proposal: patches.gentoo.org)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:11:15
1 On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 00:24 -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
2 > On Thu October 14 2004 22:58, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Who ever said the tarball had to have the same name as the patches
4 > > inside it?
5 >
6 > I suggested putting the package name, version, arch, patch # in the
7 > filename of every patch. Because epatch isn't going to work with the
8 > current scheme (##-arch-foo.patch) if all the patches for every package
9 > are in a single directory. If I'm understanding the patches.gentoo.org
10 > thing correctly, and also how epatch works.
11
12 Maybe we're talking past each other here:
13 There's no point in redundantly including $p in every single patch name
14 if all the patches are in a tarball containing $P. You'd be looking at a
15 list of tarballs such as $P-patches.tar.bz2, each containing something
16 like:
17
18 patches/
19 3123_x86_fix-foo.patch
20 3124_hppa_fix-bar.patch
21 etc.
22
23 The only way what you're talking about makes any sense to me is if a
24 tarball isn't used, just a bzip2'd patch.
25 --
26 Donnie Berkholz
27 Gentoo Linux