From: Giacomo Cariello <jwk@×××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:04:59
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > Sunrise attempts to provide the next part of the school system down.
3 A school system should have a well defined syllabus, explicit
4 educational targets and an objective evaluation system. If Gentoo is
5 going to run a Gentoo School with courses for developers, that sounds
6 cool (and may relieve some burden from the developers mentors). Probably
7 its objectors just want the project to formalize its methods before
8 official launch.
9
10 In regard to the "rule of thumb" you suggest to verify average quality,
11 I wouldn't consider a reliable way to assess quality. I suppose that
12 part of responsibility of Gentoo towards their users consist in "using
13 caution" in their choices. Caution suggest that you cannot suppose the
14 long-term effects by measuring the current, limited, 150-ebuilds version
15 of this project. Also, it's better to debate this path now, rather than
16 wait until we realize Gentoo cannot handle at least minimal safety of a
17 100000-ebuilds user-contributed overlay used by hundreds/thousands of
18 people and throw it in the dustbin with a "we said that if it doesn't
19 work, we kill it" quote. It would be a lack of respect towards the
20 efforts of users that contributed to it.
21
22 - Giacomo 'jwk' Cariello
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list