From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 19:45:11
1 On Mon, 29 May 2017 21:42:33 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > On pon, 2017-05-29 at 20:24 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 29 May 2017 17:33:13 +0200
5 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > For a long time we seem to be missing appropriate tools to handle
7 > > > USE flag constraints efficiently. EAPI 4 brought REQUIRED_USE but
8 > > > all things considered, it has proven to be far from an optimal
9 > > > solution. I would therefore like to discuss adding a better tool
10 > > > to amend or replace it, to allow for automated handling of USE
11 > > > flag constraints.
12 > >
13 > > REQUIRED_USE's problems all come from it being thrown in at the last
14 > > minute without any testing of either the user experience or the
15 > > feasibility of its implementation. Have you implemented a prototype
16 > > to show that you can actually fix those problems?
17 >
18 > I tend to RFC before starting the implementation. Saves effort.
19
20 Not the implementation. A prototype implementation. As we saw from
21 REQUIRED_USE, it really doesn't save effort to spend time specifying
22 something that can't even remotely work...
25 Ciaran McCreesh