From: Bob Miller <kbob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout redefines /etc/fstab
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:17:45
1 Phil Richards wrote:
2
3 > On 2004-02-06, I wrote:
4 > > Of course, what you *really* want is to do a 3-way merge involving
5 > > the "new install" config file, the "previous install" config file, and
6 > > the actual config file that the user has determined they want.
7 >
8 > And, I should have added, that cfg-update quite possibly does it already.
9 >
10 > However, I remain of the opinion (even though I am a ~x86 user) that I
11 > will not use cfg-update until it is more "official" - etc-update has its
12 > limitations, but if it goes wrong the main gentoo developers will notice
13 > pretty darn quick and fix it :-)
14
15 FWIW, this is my /etc/etc-update.conf. It's a huge improvement on the
16 default settings (if you're using X11). I haven't tried cfg-update
17 yet, so can't compare to it.
18
19 jogger-egg ~> sed -e s/#.\*// -e /^\$/d /etc/etc-update.conf
20 mode="0"
21 eu_automerge="yes"
22 rm_opts="-f"
23 mv_opts=""
24 cp_opts=""
25 pager="less"
26 diff_command="diff -uN %file1 %file2"
27 using_editor=0
28 merge_command="sdiff -s -o %merged %orig %new"
29 pager=""
30 diff_command="xxdiff %file1 %file2"
31 merge_command="xxdiff -M %merged %old %new"
32 jogger-egg ~>
33
34 When I look at the files in xxdiff, I either decide to accept the
35 new one and quit, or decide to merge in xxdiff, and "save as left",
36 overwriting the original.
37
38 It works for me, it was quick to set up, and it might be useful
39 to someone.
42 Bob Miller K<bob>
43 kbobsoft software consulting
44 http://kbobsoft.com kbob@××××××××××.com