From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last Rites: Ancient x11-drivers/*
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 01:59:38
1 On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:24:24PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> Very few if any users. They break occasionally with new xserver
4 >> versions, and then I have to do the leg work to fix them, make the
5 >> upstream releases, and then push them into Gentoo. Again, for between
6 >> zero and one person to use.
7 >>
8 >> I left some other ancient ones that are also candidates for removal, but
9 >> I thought might have *a* user: glint, mach64, mga, r128, tdfx, voodoo.
10 > Both mga & r128 still have life as drivers for embedded controllers on
11 > server systems. MGA on ~5 year old Dell servers, R128 in the RageXL
12 > variant on similar age Supermicro servers.
13
14 Ack for r128. For MGA, I suspect the in-kernel KMS driver "mgag200" is
15 what you want to be using. Regardless, it'll continue living a while
16 longer :)
17
18 >> x11-drivers/xf86-video-modesetting
19 > Please keep this one for the generic KMS case. It's been useful.
20
21 It's part of the xserver since 1.17. With only 1.19 in tree, there's
22 no way to use the split package.
23
24 >> x11-drivers/xf86-video-tseng
25 > Yep, had a few of these cards, 25 years ago. The hardware interface was
26 > nice and clean, but they can DIAF now.
27 >
28 > tdfx/voodoo: Kill with fire, also spent time programming them, but
29 > looking at 15/20-year old video hardware with no big-endian support.
30 > Doubtful of userbase.
31
32 Yeah, probably should include them too.