From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Java 9 on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2017 08:25:01
1 On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 01:23:58 -0600
2 R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I am confused. I was aware that IcedTea was a build system, but I am
5 > not aware as to how Ubuntu packaged OpenJDK 9.
6
7 Not sure without looking, but likely just shipping the binary of OpenJDK
8 http://download.java.net/java/GA/jdk9/9.0.1/binaries/openjdk-9.0.1_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz
9
10 Basically oracle, less branding, etc. Could copy over oracle-jdk-bin,
11 and likely use those sources. Maybe not sure. Never messed with them.
12
13 > I expect the releases to lag, which is why I had been using Oracle's
14 > JDK. Can you explain why there is an IcedTea ebuild but not an OpenJDK
15 > ebuild?
16
17 Yes, in short, no one cares about Java on Gentoo.
18
19 The icedtea from source ebuild is a result of RedHat. The main person
20 at RedHat responsible for their open source Java is the author of
21 Icedtea. He uses Gentoo as his development/test platform. Gentoo
22 usually will have that at least the same time as others, if not before
23 all others.
24
25 If it was not for him, and RedHat paying him. I doubt Gentoo would have
26 from source Java. Not to discount Chewi/James efforts. But the author
27 of Icedtea is the one maintaining that in java-overlay.
28
29 No one has interest in Java other than expecting others to make things
30 available for them in Gentoo. Or preventing others from doing such.
31 It has been this way for close a decade.
32
33 > > Also icedtea on Gentoo does not have OpenJavaFX. I am not
34 > > sure any distro has OpenJavaFX packaged. I am not aware of any
35 > > ebuilds ever for that. Probably be me someday if I ever have
36 > > interest. Which can bind many to oracle for JavaFX. Which includes
37 > > myself.
38 >
39 > OpenJDK now contains an implementation of JavaFX.
40
41 The openjdk binary above may contain that. The OpenJDK project is not
42 the same as OpenJFX project. I am very aware of it all.
43
44 Icedtea on Gentoo has no support for OpenJFX. There is no ebuild to my
45 knowledge anywhere. Not that I have looked much.
46
47 > http://openjdk.java.net/projects/openjfx/
48
49 That is the OpenJFX project. It is a separate package.
50
51 > Debian and Ubuntu
52 > have it packaged. For general instructions, see the following:
53 >
54 > https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Building+OpenJFX
55
56 You or anyone is welcome to create a Gentoo ebuild for that. To date no
57 one has. I am not to interested in doing what others are not. I do
58 enough of that regarding Gentoo Java...
59
60 > Packages:
61 >
62 > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/openjfx
63 > https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/openjfx
64
65 That does not seem like part of OpenJDK if they are separate packages.
66 I am not sure I am not following what is going on there. It does not
67 really help or have any effect. They are making and shipping binaries.
68 That is considerably easier than a from source package.
69
70 > I have recently been interested in JavaFX. It is far more user
71 > friendly. Many open source applications still target Swing however, to
72 > be compatible with old OpenJDK releases.
73
74 I have done Swing for over a decade, and JavaFX is rather nice.
75 Transition from one to the other is fairly straight forward. It will
76 take some time for things to completely move off Swing. Even my own
77 stuff is partial. Though I haven't been working on that for sometime.
78
79 > My response to this is the same as above: Can you explain why the
80 > Gentoo build system is the way it is? If you have any suggestions as
81 > to what I should look at to better understand the OpenJDK build system
82 > I would very much appreciate them.
83
84 Look at icedtea ebuild, not the -bin the from source. Build OpenJDK
85 stand alone. Get familiar with that. Learn ebuilds. Connect all
86 together. It is not trivial.
87
88 > At a certain point, would it make sense to drop old packages and not
89 > bother to update them?
90
91 I try hard to only keep the latest of any version around, and ideally
92 one slot. Many times I will modify upstream code. At times I
93 will submit patches/PRs. Other times just do what I need to in ebuild.
94 In a few case I became the upstream and took over the project to update
95 to current dependencies, tag, etc.
96
97 > This seems to have helped with the stabilization of Python 3.5, and
98 > Python 3.6 looks like it will go the same direction. Hopefully this
99 > will occur for Java 9.
100
101 I do not bother with stabilization.
102
103 icedtea:8 is NOT stable now, only icedtea-bin which Chewi/James makes
104 from icedtea from source package. For Java 9 to be stable there has to
105 be a stable version of icedtea:9.
106
107 I battled with Chewi/James over this back when 1.8 came out. People
108 complained about having Oracle forced on them. With it being the only
109 option, till an icedtea package was available. Basically the whole
110 thing gets slowed down due to icedtea.
111
112 Having a openjdk-bin package may help there. But that is not really
113 ideally. Why not make Gentoo a binary distro? oracle-jdk-bin is one
114 thing. But that there are sources for OpenJDK. Having a -bin is not
115 really ideal. Just lazy option.
116
117 > If I understand correctly, it is possible to install the JDK but not
118 > set it to system VM? It is not clear to me why other languages need
119 > more Portage machinery to handle coinstallation of different versions.
120
121 You can run stuff on Java 9. You will have problems with emerging or
122 building Java packages on Gentoo. Unless you are developing your own
123 application in Java. It is fine for development use. There are just
124 problems with merging other Java packages if 9 is set as your system vm.
125
126 You may experience problems running stuff on Java 9 as well.
129 William L. Thomson Jr.