From: "Tomáš Chvátal" <scarabeus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] obs eclasses
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:33:54
1 2011/9/13 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>:
2 >>>>>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2011, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks for the reminder; I looked, and it turns out that we now have
5 >> a great precedent.
6 >
7 >> Quoting PMS:
8 >
9 >> "The required bash version was retroactively updated from 3.0 to 3.2
10 >> in November 2009 (see http://www.gentoo.
11 >> org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20091109.txt)."
12 >
13 >> So we could just retroactively update it again and let people scream
14 >> if they're actually affected by this.
17 I would really like if we do it properly this time.
18
19 So it is done for goot and does not reappear from time to time.
20
21 > If you read the quoted council log, you'll find that the retroactive
22 > change was done because usage of bash 3.2 features in the tree was
23 > already widespread at that time. This is very different from the
24 > current situation, therefore it is not at all a precedent.
25 >
26 As is Ulrich saying, it was done because everyone at that point was
27 using such features.
28 Not because we wanted those features to be used.
29
30 Cheers
31
32 Tom