From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tinfo flag
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 17:12:29
1 On 05/12/16 06:13 AM, konsolebox wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Please consider promoting the use of tinfo flag in packages that
5 > depend on sys-libs/ncurses so that they would synchronize properly
6 > with sys-libs/ncurses[tinfo].
7 >
8 > It could be as simple as:
9 >
10 > IUSE="tinfo"
11 >
12 > RDEPEND="sys-libs/ncurses[tinfo=]"
13 >
14 > pkg_setup() {
15 > use tinfo && export LDFLAGS="-ltinfo ${LDFLAGS}" LIBS="-ltinfo ${LIBS}"
16 > }
17 >
18 > The last line can be changed/enhanced, depending on the package.
19 >
20 > It helps keep binaries consistent even if sys-libs/ncurses[-tinfo]
21 > gets recompiled to sys-libs/ncurses[tinfo], because they are forced to
22 > be recompiled. This is better than hard-coded dynamic workarounds.
25 Should this message perhaps have been directed to a particular set of
26 developers or package maintainers rather than everyone on this list?
27
28 I'm not sure what our stance is on propagating USE flags to rdeps when
29 the package itself doesn't care (except due to the --libs output
30 changing from pkg-config). I feel that adding tinfo to IUSE the way
31 it's suggested here might be the only technical solution right now,
32 but at the same time it seems like something that might be better
33 suited to something that should be addressed through other mechanisms
34 in a future-EAPI...
35
36 Note in particular though that the pkg_setup example ISN'T imo a good
37 idea -- rather, pkg-config should be used, as it will return the
38 appropriate --libs output whether ncurses is built with USE=tinfo
39 enabled or not.