From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:15:28
1 If noone has any strong reasonable objections, I'd like to add a
2 Paludis profile to the tree. This would use Paludis as the default
3 provider for virtual/portage (which is a less than ideal name, but that
4 is another discussion entirely), and provide ebuild devs with a place
5 where they can try out some of our profile enhancements should they
6 want to. It is worth noting on the last point that most of these are
7 long-standing Portage feature requests, at least some of which are
8 planned for inclusion in Portage at some point in the future. This
9 would allow devs access to them earlier, as a sort of testbed.
10
11 The next question is where to put it. The options as I see them are
12 under default-linux/x86/ or in a top-level paludis/ a la hardened,
13 selinux, embedded, and the like. The latter is easier to exclude for
14 those worried about tree size, though the impact there should be
15 minimal. Neither way produces significantly more duplication, since we
16 can make use of multiple profile inheritance. If anyone has any
17 preference or other input, I'd like to hear it.
18
19 That's my proposal. The benefits I like to think are obvious. The
20 drawbacks are, as far as I can see, in tree size, which should be
21 minimal. Those concerned about local tree size can exclude it, and for
22 size on the mirrors it's trivial compared to the rest of the tree.
23
24 Comments?
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list