From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.defaults ( auto-use )
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:31:59
1 On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:05:37AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Could we by chance, mandate some sort of comment field in that file not
3 > unlike package.mask?
4
5 Sounds like a really good idea to me. Will this require any
6 modifications to portage, or will it automagically ignore # comments
7 in that file?
8
9 > I usually like to know the reason why these flags are being switched on.
10 > Certainly there are some flags that I don't mind and there are others
11 > where I just have to wonder why the hell it's in use.defaults in the
12 > first place.
13
14 I recently added the 'udev' flag which is automatically turned on by
15 sys-fs/udev. This is needed by at least one package
16 (sys-apps/pcmciautils) to determine if the user wishes to install
17 pcmciautils as an udev helper or as a hotplug helper. This was done
18 after discussing the subject in #gentoo-kernel.
19
20 Regards,
21 Brix
22 --
23 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
24 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd