From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:30:51
1 On 09/22/04 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:54:55 -0400 John Richard Moser
4 > <nigelenki@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > | I believe it would be a good idea to have such a FEATURES or USE
6 > | flag on by default in all profiles where SSP is supported. In this
7 > | manner, the major targets of security attacks would automatically be
8 > | protected; while still allowing the user to disable the protection
9 > | if the user desires. Users wanting more protection can simply add
10 > | -fstack-protector to CFLAGS, or use Hardened Gentoo.
11 >
12 > Personally, I don't see the point in an ugly hack which occasionally
13 > sort of protects you from badly written code... The option's there for
14 > anyone who really wants it, but we tend more towards a "turn most
15 > things off unless the user asks for them" approach, hence the
16 > relatively low number of things turned on in the default USE settings.
17 >
18 > | Any comments? Would this be more suitable as a USE or a FEATURES
19 > | setting?
20 >
21 > FEATURES, not USE.
22
23 Depends, FEATURES are things that are done generally by portage while
24 USE is for per-package things. And as far as I understand this is a
25 request for per-package dependent behavior so it would be a USE thing.
26 However, would this involve anything else than CLFAGS modifications? If
27 not than I don't think it's worth another flag as per-package
28 environment variables support for portage is already planned, so it
29 would be pointless.
30
31 Marius
36 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
37 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list