From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers: nvidia-drivers-313.18.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 22:59:37
1 On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 23:05:28 +0100
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 03/03/2013 06:24 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
8 > > On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 15:42:56 +0100 hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
9 > > wrote:
10 > >
11 > >> What do we have useflags for in gentoo?
12 > >
13 > > Not for conditional patching, that's for sure.
16 > That simply diverges from reality.
17 >
18 > # qgrep epatch | grep 'use\ ' | wc -l
21 > Since conditional seds are practically the same...
22 >
23 > # qgrep ' sed ' | grep 'use\ ' | wc -l
26 > And those are just lazy greps not catching if else foo syntax.
27
28 Sometimes it's unavoidable. Sometimes people don't think before they do
29 something. If the patch makes a fundamental change in the package that can't
30 be controlled another way (say --configure flags or defines) then, yes, you may
31 have to use conditional patching. I'm thinking of something like infinality or
32 x32 support. In both those cases we're adding a feature, not making a bug
33 fix. That's an important distinction. USE flags exist to give the user a
34 choice between A and B. If choice A is "package doesn't build" then there's
35 really no choice at all. You've just added a new way for a package to fail. We
36 already have plenty of those. Please don't add more.
40 gcc-porting
41 toolchain, wxwidgets learn a language baby, it's that kind of place
42 @ gentoo.org where low card is hunger and high card is taste