From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoostats
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:07:11
1 On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:59:57 +0100
2 "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > On Sunday 24 January 2016 16:50:46 Göktürk Yüksek wrote:
8 > >
9 > > I don't want to go off-topic here too much but this is more than a
10 > > missing tools issue. There are privacy concerns regarding the
11 > > collection of such information. I recall this proposed idea from
12 > > Google Summer of Code:
13 > >
14 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2012/Ideas#Package_stati
15 > > stics_reporting_tool
16 >
17 > This has been debated to death. As long as noone is forced to use it,
18 > privacy concerns shouldnt be a problem. And it would be extremely
19 > useful how many of our maintainer-needed packages are actually still
20 > compiled once per year. (Or if any one single person even uses KDE on
21 > ppc64.)
22
23 you'd probably get much more reliable stats on package usage by
24 gathering distfiles d/l stats from mirrors and mapping that to packages