From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Migrating to a commercial PHP-based forums package for forums.gentoo.org
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:38:02
1 As many of you have noticed, the forums have been having significant
2 performance problems lately. Without going into the gory details, most of
3 these issues have to do with the inefficient way phpBB 2.0.x interacts with
4 the database.
5
6 Right now, the apache part of the forums are hosted on OSU's cluster of
7 dual xeon boxes and the database part is hosted by a dual xeon w/ 4GB of
8 RAM, so there is ample hardware behind us. Adding more hardware is not
9 likely to be a tenable solution.
10
11 We have a couple of options we're considering, none of which are ideal.
12 One option is to delete older posts and/or move them to an "archive"
13 section which would be unsearchable or really hard to search (which is,
14 imo, effectively deleting them because nobody is going to sift through all
15 that)
16
17 Another option is to migrate to an alternate forums package. Specifically,
18 vBulletin, which has proven to be quite scalable and effective with larger
19 sites. The main drawback to this is the fact that it is a commercial
20 software package, which tends to raise the ire of some of the more zealous
21 GNU folks out there.
22
23 So, my question to you is, how would you feel if we were to do this?
24 Horribly offended? Saddened because there isn't a GPL'd program to meet
25 our needs, but pragmatic about the need to do *something*? Or C, none of
26 the above?
27
28 Basically, the choice comes down to one of two things:
29
30 1) Lose some older posts and stay on a GPL-compatible package
31 2) Move to a commercial solution and keep all the posts.
32
33 Note that vBulletin *is* open source in that you have access to the source
34 code and can modify it. It's just not Free.
35
36 Finally, to keep this process somewhat manageably, I ask that you make your
38 what should be done. I will likely limit my responses to that discussion.
39
40 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=554174
41
42 --kurt