From: gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OpenLDAP user authentication / autofs integration
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:31:43
1 Hi,
2
3 I've recently got my Gentoo systems authenticating users/automount'ing
4 home directories with all of the directory information coming from my
5 openldap server :)
6
7 What I would like to do is get al of my hard work into the relevant
8 ebuilds now. I've a query though regarding USE variables. The "ldap" use
9 variable seems a little overloaded in it's scope - it can be used for
10 everything from adding ldap address book support in email clients, to
11 providing ldap user authentication (with a little extra work...).
12
13 I realise that USE variables could quickly become unmanageable if loads
14 were added, but it would be nice if there were a way to specify, for
15 example, what sort of authentication you wanted to use (a la RedHat and
16 others I imagine) and have it work out of the box (or, if you will,
17 source).
18
19 For things like ldap, I would suggest maybe ldap_client and ldap_auth USE
20 variables. Is this a bad suggestion...?
21
22 I will attempt to document all that I actually had to do in order to get
23 LDAP authentication/autofs working in case anyone else is interested...
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Gareth