From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:02:32
hasufell schrieb:
> > > However, I don't see references to ebuild policy (in devmanual or > howtos) how to handle Werror. > > Is there a common opinion on that. And shouldn't we add that to the > documentation then? >
-Werror is basically saying that it is not safe to ship code which produces warnings. I personally think that if an upstream says that no warnings must be produced by the code, and a developer should look at them before declaring any warnings safe, then that is best followed. However this causes a heavy maintenance burden and will frequently break compilation, so the majority opinion is to remove -Werror from compiler flags. Best regards, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted? Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>