From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gregkh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:14:16
1 On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 15:29:06 -0700
2 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 04:43:09AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 12:50:32AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
7 > > > > I think this supports the argument that the better kernel is
8 > > > > always the one with the most fixes.
9 > >
10 > > Define "better"; because 3.10.0 has also been worse than the last
11 > > 3.9 release in some ways, despite it having more fixes than the
12 > > last 3.9.
13 >
14 > How was it "worse"? You don't seem to define that either :)
15
16 The point is rather whether it can be defined, therefore it is also
17 worse in some ways; of course without statistics you can't really
18 define it, but as long as there is reason to believe it people are
19 going to follow this train of thoughts. For example, the LTS kernels.
20
21 > Yes, there are always going to be bugs and regressions, but as long as
22 > we are fixing them more than we are making them, we are doing ok.
23
24 That's might be a false impression; have you took a set of commits from
25 back in time, analyzed what they caused and have a report available?
26
27 There's reason enough to be wary of refactoring, new features and more
28 to regress the first release of a new branch; and none of these are
29 actually fixes, they are not ok when you are looking for stability.
30
31 (Add to that that fixes can also cause bugs and regressions.)
32
33 Later releases in a branch don't contain such commits, only fixes; so,
34 therefore skipping the first releases of a branch is a normal thing to
35 do, unless there's proof or more convincing argumentation that it is a
36 stupid thing to do I don't see a change in this behavior any time soon.
37
38 Without statistics, neither person is wrong or right; so, both behaviors
39 happen and are based on thoughts, reasoning and beliefs. So, when stated
40 that the "better kernel is always the one with the most fixes" one needs
41 to objectively define "better"; otherwise that sentence is meaningless.
42
43 Without a definition and supporting evidence, that is a contradiction.
46 With kind regards,
47
48 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
49 Gentoo Developer
50
51 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
52 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
53 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D