From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 02:36:07
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 21:44, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > The offered software will be trac, svn, and moinmoin.  I'm going to
3 > look at darcs, and with the help of the haskell team and infra
4 > determine if we can support it or not.  No-one has expressed a
5 > preference for a different distributed VCS instead of darcs.
6 I haven't being following discussion, to be honest, as I don't really have
7 time to read mailing lists lately, but I'm happy I've spotted this mail at
8 least...
9
10 Although I don't know darcs at all in terms of use and feature, I would really
11 suggest to _not_ use it. For a simple reason, actually: cvs has almost no
12 cost added, as it's present on every major distribution, system and operating
13 system, being well known and written in plain C with just a few dependencies;
14 svn has a bit more costs, as it requires apr, berkdb and neon, but it's also
15 available on a wide range of different system because it's also in C mainly.
16 Darcs, instead, is written in Haskell, which means you need architectures that
17 supports Haskell, and in which it's stable enough to work... considering we
18 have Gentoo/Alt, it's not that good to "cut" us off (yes I know I should be
19 able to make Gentoo/FreeBSD and maybe other arches to have ghc, but that's
20 not easy and not on my top priority list, while support for overlays can be
21 useful.. for a while we needed java overlay to get kaffe, for example).
22
23 Also, the way ghc is bootstrapped (need a -bin and then build from sources)
24 makes it not exactly painless to handle... and it's an extra language needed
25 anyway.
26
27 I would be more in favour of GNU arch derived like bzr (bazaar-ng) or
28 mercurial, that are written in Python. While we should know that
29 saying "being interpreted means it runs anyway" doesn't fly, a working python
30 is already a strict requirement (portage, anyone?) and it's way less pain
31 that ghc, IMHO.
32
33 I'm also sure bzr works fine on FreeBSD, DragonFly and OSX as I've tried it
34 myself..
37 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
38 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE