From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:40:06
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:25:30 -0400
2 Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 > Multilib (and/or multiarch) support
4 > The current binaries cause a great deal of pain, particularly
5 > when a user does not want to upgrade something. I had this problem
6 > with WINE and glibc because I wanted to avoid the reverse memcpy()
7 > fiasco on my systems. This situation would have been avoided entirely
8 > if the package manager supported multilib.
9
10 This one's unlikely to happen unless someone's prepared to put in the
11 work.
12
13 > POSIX Shell compliance
14 > There has been a great deal of work done to give the user
15 > full control of what is on his system and there is more that we can
16 > do there. In particular, I think a lean Gentoo Linux system should be
17 > able to use busybox sh and nothing else. That requires POSIX shell
18 > compliance. OpenRC init scripts support this and the configure
19 > scripts support this. The few exceptions are bugs that are addressed
20 > by the Gentoo BSD developers. As such, I think we should make EAPI=5
21 > use POSIX shell by default. If an ebuild requires bash, we can allow
22 > the ebuild to declare that (e.g. WANT_SH=bash), but that should be
23 > the exception and not the rule.
24
25 So far as I know, every PM relies heavily upon bash anyway (and can't
26 easily be made not to), so even if developers would accept having to
27 rewrite all their eclasses, it still wouldn't remove the dep.
30 Ciaran McCreesh