From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:47:08
1 On Sat, 14 Dec 2013, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 05:56:33AM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
4 >> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> My issue with what we are currently doing is not whether we have a
7 >>> default network provider in the stages or not, but it is just that the
8 >>> netifrc use flag on OpenRC is bogus. OpenRC doesn't need netifrc for any
9 >>> reason.
10 >>
11 >> William,
12 >>
13 >> the "push" for the use flag was to ensure that users would keep the
14 >> existing networking functionaility and more importantly their network
15 >> configuration. Without it, portage would "happily" clean /etc/conf.d/net -
16 >> something not desirable by most.
17 >
18 > Hi Jorge,
19 >
20 > Portage will not clean /etc/conf.d/net, and this is not related to the
21 > use flag. That is handled by the block starting at line 212 in
22 > openrc-0.12.4.ebuild. I had to modify the file so portage
23 > wouldn't remove it.
24
25 Ah, that's good to know.
26 I mentioned /etc/conf.d/net as you know I lost it on a production box when
27 the new openrc with netifrc was initially released. It's good to know that
28 was fixed on a different way.
29
30 > The push for the use flag was because people didn't think it was enough
31 > for me to put out a news item telling them that they should emerge
32 > netifrc if they wanted to continue using it once this version of OpenRC
33 > was installed.
34
35 OK, I see what you mean.
36 To be clear, I'm not ready to have a stage3 without netifrc. If / when we
37 update catalyst so that the new stage3 is the sum of @system and
38 additional packages, we can move netifrc to that list.
39
40 > William
41
42 Jorge