From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why Glep42 news can't be used yet
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 16:41:07
1 On Sun, 6 May 2007 16:44:23 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 6 May 2007 15:40:23 +0200
5 > Marius Mauch <genone@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Apparently the `eselect news` module (which is the suggested
7 > > default news reader) requires paludis to be installed and
8 > > configured, a quick test resulted in errors when trying with
9 > > a) paludis not installed
10 > > b) paludis installed but not configured
11 >
12 > Sounds like you forgot USE=portage when installing Paludis. There's an
13 > at least reasonable chance it can use your Portage configuration if
14 > you aren't doing anything weird.
15
16 Yeah, as I didn't intend to actually use paludis, so that's a rather
17 special use case that doesn't need further action (only mentioned it
18 due to the misassumption of news.eselect being part of eselect already)
19
20 > > Until that is fixed I'd say that the glep 42 news facilities may not
21 > > be used in repositories that are primarily used by portage users
22 > > (and that includes gentoo-x86).
23 >
24 > Why make everyone else suffer? It's not like having the news items
25 > there breaks Portage...
26
27 Well, the whole decision process was based on the assumption that
28 portage (even if it's just trunk) has proper support for glep 42, and
29 now it turns out that assumption was incorrect. So before we puruse in
30 using this facility even more we should correct that mistake and have
31 at least an agreed implementation plan and someone dedicated to do the
32 relevant work (instead of making more implicit assumptions that
33 someone will just do it in time eventually).
34 If all works out well it might even be done in a few hours, so it
35 wouldn't be a big problem. If it takes more than a few days we know
36 something went wrong and can do whatever is necessary to correct it.
37
38 Marius
43 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
44 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.