From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is removing old EAPIs worth the churn?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 09:00:40
1 On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:52 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > In the end we might get to delete some code from portage or an eclass?
4 > Does this seem worth it?
7 To add to some of the points Kent made, I think so, yes: this means freeing
8 us from the cognitive overhead of thinking about older EAPIs at all, having
9 to remember the differences between those old EAPIs and the newer ones.
10 Removing that complexity from developer's minds as well as from our tooling
11 means our tooling will be we can spend our time and energy on other things,
12 which will be a win for the distribution.
13
14 Yes, the long tail is painful: these are probably the packages that haven't
15 been upgraded before for a reason, but actually putting the finishing
16 touches on the EAPI migration will be worth it in the end.
17
18 It might have been even better if Andreas or someone else had announced
19 this project/discussed the trade-offs before starting it.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Dirkjan