From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zoom concerns
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 15:17:29
1 Hi,
2
3 it's true that zoom is currently getting a lot of attention. It all
4 started with the iOS application using Facebook SDK to provide login
5 through Facebook and their TOS/privacy statement.
6
7 That triggered a lot of (security) researchers who are currently sitting
8 at home like most people in western world with a lot of time. If
9 upstream will address all problems this will become one of the best
10 (free-)audited conference software available ;-)
11
12 For this discussion please keep in mind that there are multiple versions
13 for different platforms. Not every platform is affected by all reported
14 problems.
15
16 Regarding zoom and Gentoo: net-im/zoom doesn't require any special
17 handling in Gentoo. Package is not even marked stable. We have a lot of
18 vulnerable packages...
19
20 If problems will get confirmed for the available Linux version and
21 upstream won't provide a fix within ~12 months (depends on severity of
22 reported vulnerabilities) we maybe decide to last-rite or apply a mask
23 to force user awareness through forced unmask action in case they need
24 that software. But again, this software isn't special and doesn't
25 require further discussion from our P.O.V.
29 Regards,
30 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Security Team
31 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5