From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 00:53:42
1 On 2/13/21 4:37 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 2/11/21 1:17 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 2021-02-10 at 19:51 +0100, Lars Wendler wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:57:48 +0200 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Hi all,
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
9 >>>>
10 >>>> "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable,
11 >>>> precompiled packages for a subset of configurations, via central
12 >>>> binary package hosting. Currently we are still in the conceptual
13 >>>> planning stage. "
14 >>>>
15 >>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
16 >>>>
17 >>>> If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the
18 >>>> wiki page.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central
21 >>>> point of the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a
22 >>>> tinderbox). I'm more concerned about
23 >>>> * what configurations should we use
24 >>>> * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g.
25 >>>> binpkg signing and verification)
26 >>>> * how should hosting look like
27 >>>> * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into
28 >>>> production"
29 >>>> * ...
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
32 >>>>
33 >>>> Cheers,
34 >>>> Andreas
35 >>>>
36 >>>
37 >>> It would be great to improve portage speed with handling binpkgs. I
38 >>> already have my own binhost for a couple of Gentoo systems and even
39 >>> though these systems don't have to compile anything themselves,
40 >>> installing ~100 to ~200 binpkgs takes way more than an hour of
41 >>> installation time. Arch Linux' pacman only takes a fraction of this
42 >>> time for the very same task.
43 >>> I know that I compare apples with pears here but even reducing the
44 >>> current portage time by 50% would be a huge improvement.
45 >>
46 >> Is that really a problem? For me, Portage takes about an hour just to
47 >> do the dependency processing these days. In fact, building from sources
48 >> is now faster than dependency calculations.
49 >
50 > The ratio of these times is dependent on the complexity of the
51 > dependencies involved, and so is the answer to your question.
52
53 Also, in the context of binary packages, dependencies calculations are
54 generally simpler for binary packages because their USE conditionals and
55 slot-operator := dependencies are frozen in a particular state. This
56 dramatically reduces the search space involved in dependency calculation.
57 --
58 Thanks,
59 Zac