From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: tod@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Menu System
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:07:20
1 On 17 Apr 2002 22:41:27 -0500
2 Tod M Neidt <tod@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 17:29, Mario Andres Yepes C wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I think thats the basic idea... The thing would be that portage should
7 > > provide a couple of functions to easy the process of adding an entry
8 > > to the menu.
9 > >
10 > > Somethink like
11 > >
12 > > add_menu(){
13 > > mkdir -p ${MENUDIR}
14 > > cat >> ${MENUDIR}/${PN} << EOF
15 > > ?package(${P}): section="$2" icon="$3" title="$4" longtitle="$5"
16 > > needs="$1" command="oo$1" $mimetypes_item
17 > > EOF
18 > > }
19 > >
20 > > So in an ebuild you could have...
21 > >
22 > > add_menu Applications/Games amor.png "A waste of cpu" "Amor, a game"
23 > > x11
24 > >
25 > > Of course this is just a quick idea, I think that the function could
26 > > be better implemented so the way to call it is more straight forward.
29 > Hi!
30 >
31 > My thought on this issue would be the addition of a 'domenu' helper
32 > script that could be a one line addition in the src_install function.
33 >
34 > The 'domenu' script would cascade through the desktop USE variables
35 > (i.e. gnome, kde, etc , might have to add some for other desktops that
36 > don't already have a USE variable.) If the USE variable for a
37 > particlular desktop is set then insert a menu item. for example (off
38 > the top of my head, so illustrative, not ncessarily working),
39
40 The problem with that approach is that if you later decide to use gnome,
41 you would have to re-emerge everything to get its menu entry.
42 Having each program place its menu entry (or entries) in a central
43 location (ala Debian, again), and then having a post-process program
44 zip through and create the KDE, GNOME, AfterStep, BlackBox, and
45 so on "system" menus sounds better to me.
46
47 Porting the "menu" package from Debian shouldn't be hard at all.
50 Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
51
52 Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
53 C and Python Code Gardener