From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=virtual for meta-packages (clarification of definition)
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:51:04
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Except it doesn't. A virtual ebuild:
3 >
4 > * installs nothing
5 > * does nothing
6
7 I'd say that virtual does indeed do something: it pulls in other packages.
8
9 > * should be treated as being very quickly installable
10 > * should be treated as having zero cost for installs
11 >
12 > The property proposed corresponds to only the last of these.
13
14 Still, the term "virtual" fits the spirit of the idea well.
15
16 > Virtual methods in OO can do lots. You're thinking 'pure virtual' or
17 > 'abstract'.
18
19 Yes, you are correct (pure virtual is what I was thinking).
20
21 -Joe