From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 05:14:07
1 Nicolas Sebrecht posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 02:46:33 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 11:00:15AM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
4 >
5 >> Oh, eudev also doesn't handle network link setup given that external
6 >> tools already do this just fine. That's another difference, though not
7 >> one that matters programmatically. That said, the network-link setup
8 >> was added primarily to support systemd's use-case, and there's very
9 >> little need or point in having it done by udevd on an rc-based system.
10 >
11 > Unless I'm mistaken, you're saying that eudev doesn't handle network
12 > link but it doesn't matter because rc-based systems don't requires it.
13 >
14 > And at the same time, I read in this thread that eudev is in-place
15 > replacement for udev without any harm. What will happen to the users
16 > wanting systemd AND expect the network link setup?
17
18 This whole debate doesn't apply to systemd users at all, only those not
19 using systemd, because...
20
21 Systemd users get the systemd-integrated udev, with systemd blocking
22 (effectively, I've not looked at where the specific blocks are) both the
23 stand-alone udev and eudev, as systemd is its own device-manager
24 provider. Thus, systemd users have the systemd-based network link
25 solution if they want it, via the systemd-integrated udev.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman