From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 07:42:39
1 Hi All,
2
3 On 2022/07/06 15:50, Michał Górny wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, 2022-07-04 at 16:19 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
6 >> I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
7 >>
8 >>      <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
9 >>
10 >> Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
11 >> in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
12 >> ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
13 > I don't think adding such an element is a good idea. In my opinion,
14 > this will strengthen the assumption that "unless otherwise noted, you
15 > don't dare touch anything" (even though that's not your goal). "Common
16 > sense" should really be good enough for almost everything.
17
18 I agree, but also note that what I consider to be "common sense" isn't
19 always "your common sense".
20
21 I also agree that having some way to indicate the preference on the
22 specific package may be a good thing.  With various possible levels of
23 sensitivity.
24
25 For example, net-misc/asterisk and net-libs/pjproject is very sensitive
26 for me.  net-misc/dahdi{,-tools} and x11-wm/evilwm less so.  In all
27 cases I'd still prefer to be kept in the loop at a minimum.
28
29 As such, it looks like there is multiple options, and there are
30 suggestions for various tags, this is a sensible way to indicate
31 preference.  Eg, also, what kind of fixes don't require communication,
32 eg, I've seen drive-by's on the above packages to fix dependencies based
33 on slots because depended on packages changed their structure, or
34 because LUA became slotted, or adding := etc ...  This makes sense to
35 allow these, but if you're going to mess with my ./configure on asterisk
36 or pjproject without consulting with me I'm going to be upset.  A simple
37 code fix to fix some compile error (specific to say llvm), probably
38 fine, but I'd still appreciate communication as I'd like to submit that
39 upstream kind of thing as well.
40
41 If this does go live, then there should be a single tag where the value
42 indicates the level of "sensitivity", or multiple tags of which only one
43 is allowed.  Since some of these options may be orthogonal to each
44 other, a single tag with multiple attributes may be more appropriate, I
45 don't know, nor do I personally care that much, so far I've been
46 respected, and the drive-by's that has been made were all either part of
47 global fixes, or in the one or two cases where it was specific, was put
48 into the tree as ~ so were all just fine.  In one particular case it was
49 also masked specifically because the change depended on another change
50 to happen simultaneously/close together (lua slotting) - the experience
51 of which was most refreshing.  Obviously nothing is set in stone w.r.t.
52 specifics, but if the initial course is at least somewhat in the right
53 direction it's easier to course-correct.
54
55 I thus have no strong opinion one way or the other, but just wanted to
56 state the above.
59 Kind Regards,
60 Jaco