From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: genkernel <genkernel@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Genkernel needs more hands
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 01:10:42
1 Hello,
4 Genkernel's situation (reduced to the three currently most active
5 players) looks like this to me:
6
7 - aidecoe
8 - is focussed on the transition to Dracut and related things
9 - is fixing bugs in present genkernel from time to time
10
11 - xake
12 - is fixing bugs in the current genkernel releases
13 - likes his patches to be reviewed
14 - cannot do releases as he has no developer account, yet
15
16 - sping (me)
17 - writes and applies patches from time to time.
18 (Commitment varies, at a low right now.)
19 - has never used half of the many technologies involved himself
20 (iSCSI, dmraid, netboot, ...)
21 - is the bottleneck on some reviews and releases
22
23 There are various bugs around, some just need attention, some could use
24 insider knowledge that we lack. Furthermore the kernel configs shipped
25 by Genkernel are mainly from a time before the three of us took over and
26 need fixes, a concept and documentation too. There is no test suite
27 (virtual machines?) that I knew of catching regressions (of which we had
28 few only, in that light).
31 Nevertheless genkernel has fun aspects: it's in much better shape than
32 3.4.10.907 was, including documentation. It's a core Gentoo tool used
33 by quite a few people so the work you do on Genkernel matters.
34 With that in mind:
35
36 Are you interested in joining Genkernel?
37
38 Thanks,
42 Sebastian