From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Category tags on packages (was: new categories:)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 02:49:22
1 On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 > I agree that a tag kind of approach would be nice. Someone should
3 > actually do work on it.
4 > Here's a random similar idea that I think might work well as a GLEP
5 > proposition, that I was about to reply to a different subthread before
6 > noticing this post:
7 <snip random idea :p>
8
9 The simplest method I can think of is:
10
11 ${PORTDIR}/tags/games/puzzles/ksudoku -> ../../../kde-base/ksudoku
12
13 Yes, that's a symlink inside a new root-directory "tags" where "games"
14 is a tag and "puzzles" is a sub-tag. If for some reason we get an
15 explosion in sudoku games in portage (with weird names), we can make a
16 new sub-tag "games/puzzles/sudoku/"
17
18 ${PORTDIR}/tags/games/puzzles/sudoku/ksudoku -> ../../../../kde-base/ksudoku
19
20 And this won't cause any problems since "higher" tags are inherited.
21 Another usage of tagging could be marking packages as "deprecated" to
22 ease out removal of old packages.
23
24 ${PORTDIR}/tags/dying/amarok -> ../media-sound/amarok
25
26 /me hides from the amarok lovers.
27
28 Symlinking has the advantage of being a natural extension of our
29 favourite flat-file db[1] to tagging. Having a new folder instead of
30 symlinking inside other categories has the advantage of being
31 backwards-compatible, and will also prevent an explosion in the number
32 of categories in the root dir.
33
34 FWIW, git (atleast) preserves symlinks in source trees, so once the
35 move to git is complete, there will be no obstacles left in this
36 thing's implementation ;)
39 1. That's the portage tree, btw :p
42 ~Nirbheek Chauhan