From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add "test" to IUSE_IMPLICIT
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 08:16:57
1 On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 23:33:26 +0000
2 "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > After years of "if use test ; then ..." just working when
5 > FEATURES="test" is declared, it isn't working with EAPI5. I think we
6 > could save some bytes and headaches if we just add "test" to
7 > IUSE_IMPLICIT.
8 >
9 > Portage's emerge's "--newuse" option won't be affected by this. From
10 > `man emerge`:
11 > > NOTE: This option ignores the state of the "test" USE flag, since
12 > > that flag has a special binding to FEATURES="test" (see make.conf(5)
13 > > for more information about FEATURES settings).
14 >
15 > What say you?
18 That test shouldn't be a useflag in the first place, that there should
19 be a TESTDEPEND and a dedicatated function defined in PMS to let the
20 ebuild check if src_test will be executed. 'test' as we use it is
21 pretty much a hack.
22
23 Another note, 'if use test; then' is often very similar in nature to
24 conditional patching and should be avoided where reasonably possible.
27 Either way, I'm against adding test to IMPLICIT_IUSE on the basis of 'I
28 was lazy and want to continue to do so'.
29
30 Regards
31 Ralph