From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion to drop "pcre" from default enabled USE flags in profiles
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 18:10:05
El mié, 06-06-2012 a las 13:23 -0400, Mike Frysinger escribió:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2012 04:26:11 Pacho Ramos wrote: > > I think that would be interesting to try to not get grep build with pcre > > support by default, specially after reading "man grep" and seeing that > > its support is tagged as experimental: > > -P, --perl-regexp > > Interpret PATTERN as a Perl regular expression. This is > > highly > > experimental and grep -P may warn of unimplemented > > features. > > the experimental aspect doesn't matter. don't use -P and it isn't an issue. > > personally, i don't care about pcre. > -mike
The problem is that grep keeps linked against libpcre and it can cause problems like pointed in referred bug report, and it's really risky as people can have their portage completely broken for example when libpcre is downgraded for some reason. That doesn't sound like a good *default* behavior for me Of course, other option would be to default to "-pcre" for grep only (by default), but I don't know if we really want every package to have pcre by default...