From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:06:13
1 Alex Legler wrote:
2 > On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:08:38 -0500, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> As has been said before, a lot of people don't go to the forums to see
6 >> the poll. I only go to the forums to search if I have a problem
7 >> before posting to the list. There may have been a dozen polls on the
8 >> forums and I would have no idea they happened.
12 > That might be /your personal/ behavior.
15 May be true but someone else mentioned that back when I was going to the
16 forums. I hadn't thought of it until then.
20 >> Of course, the same could be said about doing a poll on the mailing
21 >> lists as well. Some Gentoo users that use the forums may not even
22 >> know the mailing lists exists.
26 > Do the poll in the Forums. Advertise it on planet, some MLs, maybe the
27 > g.o front page, and on IRC.
28 > That way we reach the users that don't go to the forums, but are on
29 > IRC, and the folks that are on the forums but don't know of the MLs and
30 > vice-versa.
31 >
32 > Of course there'll be still people that don't know anything about the
33 > thing, but *shrug*. Those who care, know. And those who don't care,
34 > don't need to know, we have made our effort to reach people.
37 >> I'm not sure any poll could really be accurate no matter which means
38 >> is used.
41 > Maybe that is something we just need to live with. Guess all the other
42 > people who do Internet polls do.
43 >
44 > Besides, what can we lose? I don't think Sebastian would mind
45 > preparing and posting the survey. A little more community participation
46 > and a little less time spent talking instead of doing would do us good.
47 >
48 > Alex
51 I agree that you can only put forth your best effort. I just wouldn't
52 etch the results in stone. Maybe a pencil would be OK tho.
53
54 Dale
55