From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribuited build
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 09:39:13
1 On Sunday 09 June 2002 22:31, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Do you all use only a single machine to build ?
5 > Does anyone use distributed build tools, like distcc or
6 > other tricks.
7 > While building a sigle package can be "upgraded" to
8 > distcc simply using the parallel make features and
9 > redirecting the compiler, it should be useful if entire ebuilds
10 > could be done in parallel.
11 > For example, when a package has two dependents they could
12 > be built in parallel. This would be specially useful for
13 > this packages wich doesn't build correctly with -j>1.
14 >
15 > I have a lot of unused ghz in my lan which could do lots of
16 > background jobs if they could be well distributed.
17 > I'm not thinking jet of a way to implement this (it should not
18 > be very difficult) but I'm interested to know what
19 > are the need, habits, testing methodology of the developers.
22 While I didn't test it yet, openmosix could be a solution for better
23 utilization of your computing power. Parallel dependencies are sometimes
24 difficult (cross dependencies), also it would require tweaks to emerge
25
26 Paul
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Junior Researcher