From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 00:04:38
1 On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 03:41, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
4 >> *And* I'm also tired of developing ways to present documentation than to
5 >> write documentation. The last few months we've had almost everything: XML
6 >> changes, XML checking, syntax changes, PDF generation, stylesheet changes,
7 >> one-page viewing, ... but hardly any new documents. I therefore decided not
8 >> to work on this "metadata" anymore (personally - not GDP-global) but only
9 >> write up documents.
10
11 Great. Without quality content, presentation is useless.
12
13 I believe that anything the people interested in presentation come up
14 with at this point will probably be able to be inserted fairly
15 painlessly into the existing documentation, and I don't expect that
16 they'll be 100% ready to do anything for a while. Until they are, I
17 would think you should be able to focus on the content, and stick with
18 the presentation method you're using currently.
19
20 > You may not consider this a priority, but pretty much everybody else
21 > does. Fortunately some of these people are on the docs team. =)
22 >
23 > Presentation is one of the most crucial things.
24
25 Agreed. Without decent presentation, the documentation is useless.
26
27 When I first installed gentoo in early February, I managed to miss the
28 step of actually mounting the root partition, not because I'm new to
29 Linux, but because I was trying to follow the guide, and the
30 instructions to mount / were at the bottom of the page, after a long
31 list of 'how to partition for system foo', and I was not yet used to
32 clicking on the 'now countinue with topic' links.
33
34 What I would like is a way to compress the docs down to my architecture
35 and my install style. I don't want to be distracted by what I'd do if I
36 were to be installing Gentoo via another method after I've selected my
37 install method. On the other hand, it's useful to have that information
38 available when selecting the install method. I believe another
39 compression that would be useful would be based on experience, with the
40 categories of 'novice, beginner, and expert', where novice is the full
41 detail you have now, beginner assumes one is familiar with Linux, but
42 not necessarily Gentoo, and expert compresses out all the explanation,
43 and simply provides a deployment script. Actually, as I'm thinking
44 about it, one might want to add one more, which would produce the
45 quickstart guide (which I would imagine would be mostly like expert, but
46 with a little explanation added on.).
47
48 This basically suggests three different sets of case-statement-ish
49 constructs, one for architecture, one for install method, and one for
50 experience. If someone doesn't select an axis, the portion of affected
51 docs look basically the way they do now.
52
53 Note that I have no idea how one would do a case statement in XML.
56 Incidentally, some may say that I'm pandering to both sides of this
57 dispute. I'm not. I'm speaking for balance. We have two seemingly
58 competing tasks, which are both required to produce a quality product.
59 I've spoken more about the presentation, because I think that
60 presentation currently has the bigger problem. I understand that there
61 has recently been a very major effort on the presentation side, but this
62 was, as far as I can tell, primarily performed with regards to its
63 impact on the overall content side, without sufficient understanding of
64 the presentation side. As it happens, the end result is something that
65 I believe can be tweaked just a bit to bring the presentation side in
66 line as well.
67
68 Ed
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list