From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Proposal] Eclass for nodejs modules
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 00:01:21
1 On 02/29/2016 06:24 PM, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > On 29/02/16 03:23, Geaaru wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In conclusion, it seems that is not accepted use of nodejs modules
5 >> ebuild inside portage. It is right?
8 > There used to be a CoffeeScript ebuild if you search back. I do not
9 > remember how it worked but IIRC I think it was basically just creating a
10 > fake root for itself. The distfile itself was just that node_modules/
11 > directory in a tarball. No direction on how those dependencies could be
12 > shared, so it is no longer in the tree.
15 I really needed it for one program, so I'm maintaining coffee-script in
16 the tree now as dev-lang/coffee-script. I have an eclass and some
17 ebuilds using it at https://github.com/orlitzky/npm but I didn't want to
18 wind up in charge of a NodeJS project and nobody else did either, so I'm
19 no longer working on it. The current coffee-script ebuild copy/pastes
20 some of the stuff that would have been handled by the eclass.
21
22 Only misery lies down this path. Every upstream project is a mess and
23 nobody cares, because implicitly, their roadmaps all involve realizing
24 that javascript is awful and abandoning the project. To get this stuff
25 in the tree, we would need a full-time devoted developer who just loves
26 javascript and is sexually aroused by having his time wasted.