From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: OpenPGP verification of source files (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Updating all Manifest to contain SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:19:33
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 09/18/2015 10:58 AM, Justin (jlec) wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > there are quite a number of Manifest still not containing one or
8 > more of the three hashes. I would like to update them as far as we
9 > can download the sources.
10 >
11 > Procedure would be: 1. Download package 2. verify current hashes
12 > match 3. Calculate new 4. commit
13 >
14 > Following question need to be answered first:
15 >
16 > Does anybody have any general objections, remarks or ideas on
17 > that?
18
19 As long as the current hashes are verified for the download I'm fine
20 with this, but I'd like to take the opportunity to bring up a general
21 note with regards to manifest generation and OpenPGP verification of
22 source files.
23
24 Now that we're hopefully getting closer to a fully signed OpenPGP
25 Gentoo Tree, it is also important that package maintainers pay
26 attention to OpenPGP signatures when generating the initial manifest
27 files e.g. on a version bump. This also brings up some interesting key
28 management issues with regards to ensuring that the package is signed
29 with the correct key. Of course, where the maintainer has met the
30 developer and cross-signed the keys, this part is relatively easy, as
31 the key will have full validity or can be easily verified by one hope
32 distance.
33
34 Where this becomes more difficult is of course where no direct
35 certification has been made, leading into more probabilistic
36 approaches to determining key validity. I would expect maintainers of
37 a package following the mailing lists giving a high expectation of the
38 key being correct, and as such keeping a local copy of the keys used
39 for distribution with a local signature (lsign in GnuPG's edit-key
40 interface) marking this key as valid.
41
42 We currently don't (well, I don't at least) store information about
43 the file verification in the git commit messages, and I'm not sure if
44 this is something that would be valuable exceeding the cost of the
45 added message and finding a format to do so. But given that we're
46 talking about the manifests, I do sincerely hope package maintainers
47 have a well thought out setup for key management locally and in fact
48 verify the OpenPGP signatures vs known good keys, and that appropriate
49 measures are being taken in the case of non-maintainer commits that
50 doesn't reduce the level of security.
51
52 - --
53 Kristian Fiskerstrand
54 Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
55 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3