From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:57:07
1 Thanks all for the 'appreciation'.
2
3 I'd like to remember that I'm not going away nor I'm retiring, I will just
4 avoid to touch stabilizations, unless the stable package is part of my
5 interest.
6
7 I'd like also to reminder that in the past I monitored the bugs via the
8 bugzilla UI, and in the recent past I used the getatoms script to monitor the
9 load for each arch:
10
11 for ARCH in alpha amd64 arm ia64 ppc ppc64 sparc x86
12 do
13 echo "${ARCH}"
14
15 python \
16 /root/getatoms.py \
17 -a "${ARCH}" \
18 --stablereq \
19 --no-depends \
20 --all-bugs > /dev/null 2>&1
21
22 grep "=" /etc/portage/package.keywords/test | wc -l
23 echo -ne "\n\n"
24 done
27 Actually we have a result like this:
28
29 alpha
30 82
31
32 amd64
33 99
34
35 arm
36 154
37
38 ia64
39 5
40
41 ppc
42 64
43
44 ppc64
45 64
46
47 sparc
48 20
49
50 x86
51 96
52
53 Actually the result is increased by the large number of packages in the
54 gstreamer stablereq.
55 I worked daily-by-daily for amd64/x86 and occasionally for an arch. I always
56 picked up the arch which have more bugs from the above list.
57 A always assured that there wasn't an arch with > 200 bugs.
58 Unfortunately I don't have time to work on the arch-specific. But if I can
59 help with 7 arches you shouldn't bother :)
60 On the other side, I respect and 'share' the point of view of the maintainer
61 which has some arch-specific bugs freezed with noone that take care of.
62 It is a fact that for those arches there are few users, so to improve the
63 situation we can:
64 1) Don't file keywordreq, since noone work on them. File directly stablereq.
65 2) Reduce the number of the stable packages on those arches
66 3) Make a more visible list( like a list here in term of
67 visibility:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/output.html) of the
68 arches-dependent bugs so that everyone can contribute to maintain alive the
69 exotic arches.
70
71 If is not our interest to maintain those alive, just ignore my proposal.
75 Agostino Sarubbo
76 Gentoo Linux Developer