From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proliferation of IUSE=static-libs in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:01:57
1 On 03/08/2018 10:40 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > So, developers, please *stop adding USE=static-libs* to random libraries
4 > that have no reason whatever to be statically linked to. And by that I
5 > mean a good reason, not creeping featurism, not 'user asked for it', not
6 > 'this broken package hardcodes libfoo.a'.
7 >
8 > If upstream doesn't build static libraries by default, don't add flags
9 > to make it do it.
10
11 I've felt the same way for a long time. Flexibility is usually good, but
12 we shouldn't be going out of our way to add time bombs just because
13 "safe OR fragile" is technically added flexibility.