From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <ml@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Default options for kernels - multi-lun scsi support
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:38:51
1 I'd like to make a suggestion, hopefully this is the right place, to enable CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN and CONFIG_SCSI_REPORT_LUNS by default on the relevant main kernels, especially the desktop kernels (the latter option may be 2.6 series only; I haven't checked 2.4). These allow multi-slot card readers to work (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=184187). As far as I can tell (which probably isn't very far :) ) they shouldn't cause any trouble. I haven't found any reports of trouble with these settings on, so it maybe they're options only for performance reasons (perhaps SCSI probing is quicker if it assumes single LUNs) - in which case enabling them for greater compatibility makes sense.
2
3 Previously, multi-lun setups were relatively rare. However multi-slot USB card readers are now very common - many systems are shipped with multi-readers built in, and the portable readers are very cheap. There are quite a few threads in the forums about them one way or another.
4
5 I think this means changing the genkernel ebuild, or possibly some of the *-sources ebuilds. I think the former is sensible since it has to generate a .config if one doesn't exist, whereas the *-sources ebuilds are better left in-line with the upstream approach of defaulting all options off (by having no .config!). Alternatively it could be just a documentation issue.
6
7 Cheers,
8 Kev.
13 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list