From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ideas for gentoostats implementation
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 22:57:14
1 Since it is going to be opt-in and optional anyway, we seem to be fine with
2 having just partial data.
3
4 I assume we have logs of distfiles downloads from Gentoo infrastructure, and
5 can negotiate access to relevant logs of our mirrors. That constitutes partial
6 data correlated with users' installation activity, as good as it gets.
7
8 If we do have some such data, are we using it in any way for the discussed
9 purposes?
10
11 If we don't, but could get it, would we be able to use that data for these
12 purposes? If no, why?
13
14 If we can't get the data, why?
17 As an aside, I think the best known way to ensure the availability of important
18 things, from user perspective, is to pay for these important things. Of course
19 I see how this won't fit culturally very well here and that we're not going to
20 switch to commercial model just for this reason.