From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, m.pagano@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on adding kernel config checks to ebuilds
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 13:21:44
1 Il giorno lun 27 set 2021 alle ore 18:11 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
2 ha scritto:
3
4 > I'm looking to solicit opinions on when it is appropriate for an
5 > ebuild to check for kernel config options using linux-info.eclass. I
6 > don't think we have any guidelines documented, instead leaving it up
7 > to the "common sense" of package maintainers.
8 >
9 > <snip>
10
11 After so many tentatives to fix the kernel checks in these years (almost
12 all of which had drawbacks or missed some extreme corner case) it's
13 probably better to give to the user instruments to do ihs own checks rather
14 than trying to be smart.
15
16 An example of how this could work follow:
17 A file (or directory) is created in /etc/ that contains a list of
18 <ebuild>,<config_option>,<state_required>
19 Then the user is responsible to check that list against the wanna be
20 running kernel
21
22 This save probably both computational and human time
23
24 state_required - should be well thought out since it can be required
25 present, absent or maybe even suggested