From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 19, reloaded (again)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:02:25
1 On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 16:45 -0500, Corey Shields wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 August 2004 04:33 pm, Olivier Crete wrote:
3 > > The whole point of a stable tree is to be stable.... rsync just doesn't
4 > > offer the same kind of guarantee.. Having security updates separate from
5 > > the "released" distribution is also a must imho. And this approach would
6 > > make that easy... This does not stop us from adding updates to the
7 > > overlay, it just makes it much easier for admins to control which
8 > > updates they want and which ones they dont...
9 >
10 > How do you plan to do updates (non-security) with this solution?
11
12 just replace the tree entirely "rm -rf /usr/portage, tar xjvf
13 newportage.tar.bz2 -C /usr/portage" for "major upgrades"... or using an
14 overlay for minor local stuff... I like the idea of keeping my
15 "official" tree pure and then having nicely separated overlays.
16
17 > > The idea of profiles (if I understand it correctly) is that every
18 > > package that is part of stable must be added to a file (thousands of
19 > > them).. And then every maintainer must make sure that he does not delete
20 > > the stable package for every arch in every version. We already see
21 > > people deleting the stable versions for less used arches... And if
22 > > stable uses a separate tree, then there is really no point to profiles..
23 >
24 > There is more to profiling than this. We can use profiles to mask down to the
25 > level we want, regardless of what the maintainer does. The purpose of the
26 > seperate rsync module is so that stable packages do not get deleted, so that
27 > wouldn't be an issue.
28
29 I think we agree that this can't stay in the main tree. But then if its
30 separate, we can just re-keyword package instead of playing aroudn with
31 a profile... Since its a whole separate tree.
35 Olivier CrĂȘte
36 tester@g.o
37 Gentoo Developer
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list