From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libGLcore error
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 16:24:20
1 On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 23:00, Lars Pechan wrote:
2 > Thanks a lot but I would like to think that I have put quite a big effort into
3 > finding out a) why nvidia's opengl driver doesn't work and b) how to get it
4 > working. So have others too. I also think I have a reasonable understading of
5 > what is going on.
6 >
7 > For more info on the subject see these threads in the forums:
8 >
9 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3701
10 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3963
11 >
12 > Also the following url helps in mapping out what the issues are
13 > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-04/msg00025.html.
14 >
15 > Also, the link you are referring to is mentioned in the forum postings.
16 >
17 > In short, yes the problem stems from the gcc-team having changed the layout of
18 > a library by hiding certain symbols. However, it's not clear whether this
19 > happened for 3.1 or in fact earlier. It did work earlier because the
20 > linker/binutils didn't care about the .hidden attribute anyway and in fact
21 > still works under 3.1 depending on what version of binutils is used.
22 >
23 > To see this happening try building one system with binutils 2.12 and one with
24 > 2.11 _both_ using gcc-3.1. The nvidia opengl driver will work on one but not
25 > the other despite both having been compiled with the same compiler. That
26 > doesn't make it binutils' "fault" but it is clear that what version of
27 > binutils you use produce different end results.
28 >
29 > My concern hasn't been to find someone to put the blame on but to understand
30 > what is happening and how to fix it. I personally think one has to be very
31 > careful playing the blame game in an open source environment.
32 >
33 > I'm not suggesting it's nvidias "fault", if anything I'm grateful for them
34 > providing good drivers even if they are binaries. However, I am suggesting
35 > that nvidia have been caught unawares by the change and also that their
36 > library wouldn't build on my (or any other gcc-3.1 + latest binutils) system.
37 >
38 > I'm also suggesting a couple of workarounds for those who can't get opengl
39 > going on their new shiny 3.1-built systems. Some have (I believe) been
40 > successful in applying the patch to glibc but others haven't and for them
41 > these workarounds will do the trick.
44 Bad form on my side. Sorry, to quick a reply after just
45 comming home with a long day at work behind me. No excuse
46 I know.
47
48 Btw, I am almost positive it worked fine for gcc-3.0 and
49 binutils-2.12.
54 Martin Schlemmer
55 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
56 Cape Town, South Africa