From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 00:40:58
1 On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > - net-misc/ntp: "as-is" looks fine as main license, although some
3 > parts of the code are under different licenses like GPL (but I
4 > haven't checked in detail what gets installed).
5
6 Uh, if we're distributing the sources, and they contain GPL content,
7 then the only valid answer is GPL, or nomirror.
8
9 > While the above are at least free software (mostly BSD/MIT like),
10 > I think that as-is is completely wrong for the following:
11 >
12 > - app-admin/passook: Seems to have no license at all.
13 >
14 > - net-wireless/zd1201-firmware: No license in tarball or on homepage.
15 >
16 > - net-wireless/prism54-firmware: Ditto, and package is mirror
17 > restricted. (How can it be on our install media then?)
20 No license, no distribution, unless there is a declaration that it is
21 in the public domain, in which case that is the "license."
22
23 Thanks for checking!
24
25 Rich