From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 17:18:08
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 04:05:05PM +0200, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 20:08:30 -0400 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >
4 > >On 8/23/16 8:03 PM, Lars Wendler wrote:
5 > >> I have some kind of interest for these packages:
6 > >
7 > >Lars, maybe once we get some names we should get a meeting of
8 > >base-system together and coordinate our efforts. In particular, I
9 > >mostly have interest in those packages that make up @system for the
10 > >stages I build.
13 > Guys, I'd like to take the opportunity to "revive" the #gentoo-base IRC
14 > channel for coordination between base-system developers.
15 > Perhaps "revive" is not the appropriate word considering that the
16 > channel never stopped to exist but rather became extinct.
17 >
18 > Opinions?
19
20 Sure, I'm fine with using it; I'm there anyway.
21
22 > Furthermore what about the devs currently being listed in base-system
23 > team but stopped taking care of the team's packages for years?
24
25 I would say contact them individually and ask them if they want to stay
26 on the team.
27
28 > Oh, and to all new team members:
29 > Please keep in mind to *not* use EAPI-6 for base-system packages yet, so
30 > we can retain a somewhat stable upgrade path even for very old systems.
31
32 This was always a huge mistery that never really made sense.
33 Once the pm is upgraded on a system to eapi 6, I don't see the reason to
34 hold back any base system packages to older eapis, especially once eapi
35 6 has been stable for a year.
36
37 William