From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package notices
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 05:10:36
1 > Basically, it could be implemented using a new eclass or just adding the
2 > enotice function to eutils - I wouldn't want all the einfos logged,
3 > anyway. (patching notices? no thanks.)
4
5 > What I would like, would be messages from packages like cacti.
6 > enotice itself will write into the file and emit an einfo.
7
8 I mentioned what I would consider most acceptable at some point,
9 but no one appears to have seen that, so it must have gotten lost.
10
11 He's what needs to get done for this to work:
12
13 functions.sh (from baselayout) dependence needs to go away.
14 All used functions need to be logged/rewritten to not use those
15 functions, and instead maintain its own.
16
17 All said functions must be rewritten, for portage, with the
18 capability to handle colors and terminals and the like as
19 portage does currently. (People don't want ANSI in their logs.)
20
21 The output can be writting in any number of ways to a file in
22 ${T} during the execution of the build. This does not violate
23 sandbox and is quite easy to find.
24
25 PORTAGE can then manipulate the log, perform notifications,
26 and do whatever else is necessary to maintain that file around
27 cleanings and other merges.
28
29 ${T}/notices.${PF}.${TYPE}
30 would be perfectly fine as long as it was definitive/unique
31 to the particular package. Notices of all types could also
32 simply be prefixed. '*' '-' '!' or whatever seems best.
33
34 If you are so inclined, you could also write a parser for
35 these files that can designate priorities using color or
36 some other visual aid. (Keep in mind that it must be
37 deterministic through simple ascii as well for synthesisers.)
38 For multiple reasons, I prefer python for these tools.
39
40 There are many, many possibilities, but please follow
41 the outline provided here.
42
43 --NJ