From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] cups & samba
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:51:32
1 With a little persistence I found out why I could not get my printer with
2 destination smb://xxxxx/printer to work (xxxxx is the hostname of my lan
3 master box (WinME). The error log for cups showed that the last operation
4 was to invoke /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb (return code was 2), but there was
5 no such file! I compared my Caldera Sybil system and found that smb is a
6 symlink to /usr/bin/smbspool. Made the symlink, and samba printing now
7 works.
8
9 I couldn't find any reference to this in the cups documentation. Is this
10 an oversight or error in the portage pkg for cups?
11
12 One mystery remains. The gui lpadmin function still reports that I have no
13 printers defined to cups, when I really have a local and a samba printer
14 defined. Other functions of lpadmin, like jobs, seem to work ok.
15
16 Any clues?
19 Collins Richey
20 Denver area