From: Olivier Galibert <galibert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:29:24
1 On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:18:35PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 4791F359.1050500@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:55:53 -0500:
4 >
5 > > I think that this would probably warrant an elog. Sure, anybody who
6 > > knows the "correct" way to admin unix doesn't put anything important in
7 > > /tmp - but educating our users before blowing away their data isn't a
8 > > bad thing. We shouldn't assume our users are idiots, but this is an
9 > > obscure enough piece of admin knowledge that I think that users will be
10 > > impacted by the change.
11 >
12 > Obscure? It's the directory name (says another with both /tmp and /var/
13 > tmp on tmpfs). How much less obscure can you get than announcing it
14 > every time the path is referenced or specified? Who could reasonably
15 > argue that tmp doesn't mean tmp?
16
17 Tmp has never meant "erase at restart", because restarts are often not
18 predictable. Tmp has sometimes meant things like "erased after a
19 week", or "erased when space gets low", but never "erased after
20 restart" which is just unusable.
21
22 Frankly, if I'm writing a long email (which mutt stores in /tmp) and a
23 powerloss makes it gone even if I was saving it from time to time
24 while I was writing it, I'll get annoyed. Severely annoyed.
25
26 It's just another bug of the FHS that shoule be ignored.
27
28 OG.
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list